As a mom, you always give your love and care for your baby. However, it is inevitable that they sometimes suffer from sickness and health problems in their process of growth. You are neither doctor or nurse. So, what should you do to help them feel better when they get sick? As the medicine does not always bring the efficiency, many people put their hope in the support of the nature-derived products. One of them is pure essential oils. In spite of their numerous benefitsin treating diseases at adults as you have followed in the last posts, are essential oils good and safe for your baby? How do you use them rightly? All answers are in this post!
How to check whether or not essential oils are safe for your babies ?
Diluting your chosen essential oil with carrier oil:
No matter what your essential oil is, how famous the brand of essential oil you own is or how much essential oil you are using, the first step you should do before using it for your baby is to dilute it with carrier oils or cream. This is the best way not only to protect the baby from the risk of irritation or sensitization but also support him or her in absorbing nutrients from essential oil. Indeed, there is no exception for any kinds of essential oil.
That is because essential oils are extracted from various parts of many herbs or plants such as leaves, buds, flowers, bark or roots. Via distillation, the manufacturers get essential oils with high concentration. Plus, the skin of the babies is thin and sensitive to external factors of the environment. According to the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA), essential oils are allowed to use for more-than-3-month babies. The following way will give you the directions to blend your essential oil with carrier oil with a safe ratio.
- If your babies are under 6 months, you should mix 1 to 2 drops of essential oil with 3 drops of carrier oil (coconut, almond, jojoba, avocado, olive or castor oil).
- If your babies are older than 6 months, mixing 3 to 5 drops of essential oil with 3 drops of carrier oil is the best ratio.
Notes: Besides above carrier oils, water or other solutions are not suitable to make your chosen essential oil weaker to use for your babies.
- Using a small piece of cotton to take 1 or 2 drops of diluted essential oil.
- Applying essential oil on the thin skin area of the inside of your elbow that is similar to the babies’ skin and observing the reactions within 24 hours.
- If there are some points of redness or rash, blisters, swelling, itching and pain appearing on your applied skin, it means that this sort of essential oils is not suitable for your babies.
- If the converse case occurs, you don’t need to worry about the bad effects of essential oils on your baby when applying on your baby frequently.
Infographic – Which essential oils are safe for each age of the babies?
Admittedly, every essential oil has their own chemical components, properties and instructions for use. As a matter of fact, some essential oils can give the adults many good uses but they can cause side effects when be applied for the infants and babies. Additionally, the growing process of each baby often starts expressing clearly after being born for 3 months. And different ages get different changes. For these reasons, the doctors strongly recommend that essential oils are not allowed to use for the babies until they are 3 months old and over. To ensure the safety and maximize the benefits of essential oils for your baby, they are divided into individual groups depending on the ages of the baby.
Safe essential oils for over-3-month-old babies:
For the group of these subjects, you should use below diluted essential oils with 0.2 percent of the concentration. In other words, you should mix 1 to 2 drops of these essential oils with at least 30 ml of carrier oil before applying them for your baby.
- Chamomile, Roman and German essential oils (Anthemis nobilis, Matricaria rectutita)
- Dill essential oil (Anthum graveolens)
- Lavender essential oil (Lavendula angustifolia)
- Yarrow, Blue essential oil (Achillea millefolium)
Safe essential oils for over-6-month-old babies:
The best concentration for the babies in this age is about 0.5 percent. In fact, it is equivalent to 3 to 5 drops of essential oils per 30 ml of carrier oil. Here is the list of some essential oils you can apply on your baby when he or she grows to this age.
- Bergamot essential oil (Citrus bergamia)
- Carrot Seed essential oil (Daucus carota)
- Cedarwood, Atlas/Virgina essential oil (Cedrus atlantica, Cedrus deodora, Juniperus virginiana)
- Cinnamon bark essential oil (Cinnamomum verum)
- Cinnamon leaf essential oil (Cinnamomum verum)
- Citronella essential oil (Cymbopogon nardus)
- Coriander essential oil (Coriandrum sativum)
- Cypress essential oil (Cupressus sempervires)
- Fir needle essential oil (Abies sibirica)
- Geranium essential oil (Pelargonium graveolens)
- Grapefruit essential oil (Citrus paradisi)
- Helichrysum essential oil (Helichrysum angustifolium)
- Lemon essential oil (Citrus limon)
- Mandarin essential oil (Citrus reticulata)
- Neroli essential oil (Citrus aurantium)
- Palma Rosa essential oil (Cymbopogon martinii)
- Petitgrain essential oil (Citrus aurantium)
- Ravensara essential oil (Ravensara aromatica)
- Rosalina essential oil (Melaleuca ericifolia)
- Rose Otto essential oil (Rosa damascena)
- Sandalwood essential oil (Santalum spicatum)
- Spruce essential oil (picea abies, picea glauca, picea mariana, picea rubens)
- Sweet Orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis)
- Tangerine essential oil (Citrus reticulata)
- Tea Tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
Safe essential oils for over-2- year-old babies:
When your baby comes to the age of 2 years old, the respiratory, immune, digestive, nervous system and other parts of his or her body become more mature than previous age. Therefore, you can increase the concentration of diluted essential oils to 2 percent but not be over this figure. By mixing 20 drops of essential oils with 30 ml of carrier oil, you can create a solution that meets the above standard. If your little angel is in this age, don’t ignore the supports of these following essential oils!
- Basil and Lemon essential oil (Ociumum, citriodorum)
- Benzoin essential oil (Styrax benzoin, Styrax paralleloneurus)
- Black Pepper essential oil (Piper nigrum)
- Cassia essential oil (Cinnamomum cassia)
- Copaiba Basalm essential oil (Copaifera officinalis)
- Frankincense essential oil (Boswellia carterii)
- Garlic essential oil (Allium sativum)
- Hyssop essential oil (Hyssopus officinalis)
- Juniper Berry essential oil (Juniperus communis)
- Lemongrass essential oil (Andropogon citratus, Andropogon flexuosus, Cymbopogon citratus, Cymbopogon flexuosus)
- Lime essential oil (Citrus x aurantifolia)
- Melissa or Lemon Balm essential oil (Melissa officinalis)
- Myrrh essential oil (Commiphora myrrha)
- Oregano essential oil (Origanum onites, Origanum smyrnaeum, Origanum vulgare, Origanum compactum, Origanum hirtum, Thymbra capitata, Thymus capitatus, Coridothymus capitatus, Satureeja capitata)
- Sweet Marjoram essential oil (Marjorana hortensis)
- Patchouli essential oil (Pogostemon cablin)
- Spearmint essential oil (Mentha cardiaca, Mentha spicata)
- Clary Sage essential oil (Salvia sclarea)
- Clove Bud or Clove Leaf essential oil (Syzygium aromaticum, Eugenia aromatica, Eugenia caryophyllata)
- Tea Tree essential oil (Leptospermum petersonii, Leptospermum citratum, Leptospermum liversidgei)
- Thyme essential oil (Thymus vulgaris, Thymus Zygis)
- Tumeric essential oil (Curcuma longa)
- Verbena, Lemon (Aloysia triphylla, Aloysia citriodora, Lippa citriodora, Lippa triphylla)
- Vetiver oil (Vetiveria zizanoides)
- Valerian essential oil (Valeriana officinalis)
- Ylang Ylang essential oil (Cananga odorata)
Safe essential oils for over-6-year-old babies:
By this age, essential oils with anti-fungal, inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties can be applied without any skin irritation or allergies for your baby as long as they are diluted in carrier oil. For this case, the allowed concentration of essential oil should be 3 percent or equivalently the blend of 30 drops of essential oils with 30 ml of carrier oil. Here are some suggested essential oils you can consult:
- Peppermint essential oil Cajeput essential oil (Melaleuca cajuputi, Melaleuca leucadendron)
- Cardamom essential oil (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Anise/Aniseed essential oil (Pimpinella anisum)
- Anise, Star essential oil (Illicium verum)
- Cornmint essential oil (Mentha arvensis, Mentha canadensis)
- Fennel essential oil (Foeniculum vulgare)
- Laurel Leaf or Bay Laurel essential oil (Laurus nobilis)
- Marjoram essential oil (Thymus mastichina)
- Niaouli essential oil (cineole chemotype)
- Nutmeg essential oil (Myristica fragrans)
Safe essential oils for under-10-year-old babies:
Indeed, it is not necessary for you to pay attention to the concentration and classification of essential oils when using them for your under-10-year-old baby. At this age, his or her immune system has the abilities to fight against the harm of external factors. However, the essential oils supplying the most uses for your baby are extracted from Rosemary and Eucalyptus.
Rosemary essential oil (Rosmarinus officinalis)
Eucalyptus essential oil (Eucalyptus camaldulensis, Eucalyptus globulus, Eucalyptus maidenii, Eucalyptus plenissima, Eucalyptus kochii, Eucalyptus polybractea, Eucalyptus radiata, Eucalyptus autraliana, Eucalyptus phellandra, Eucalyptus smithii)
Suggested recipes to apply essential oils for your babies:
Calming essential oil blend:
- 3 drops of Lavender essential oil.
- 2 drops of Roman Chamomile essential oil.
- 6 drops of Olive oil.
- 1 small cup.
- 1 spoon.
- Using the small cup to create a mixture of 2 listed essential oils and Olive oil.
- Applying this mixture on the babies’ feet or chest to make them relaxed for 5 minutes or spritzing it on the blankets, pillows or clothes of your baby.
- Repeating this process 3 times per week to get the best result.
Blend of essential oils to support the digestion of the babies + 6 months old:
- 1 drops of Wild Orange essential oil.
- 1 drops of Lavender essential oil.
- 2 tablespoons of your chosen carrier oil.
- 1 small cup.
- 1 spoon.
- Making Lavender and Wild Orange essential oil diluted by carrier oil in a small cup.
- Dripping a few drops of this mixture on your hand and massaging baby’s stomach in a clockwise direction to support the activities of baby’s digestion.
- Doing this way 15 to 30 minutes a time and 5 times every week.
Essential oil blend for the earache:
- 3 drops of Chamomile essential oil.
- 3 drops of Sandalwood essential oil.
- 6 drops of Jojoba oil.
- 1 small cup.
- 1 cotton bud.
- Blending 2 essential oils with Jojoba oil in the small cup.
- Dipping the cotton bud in the blend of essential oil and Jojoba oil.
- Gently putting the cotton bud into the painful ear of your baby and then taking it out after 10-minute applying.
- Doing this recipe 1 time per day until your baby’ ear feel better.
Essential oil blend for immune system of the babies+ 6 months old:
- 4 drops of Lemon essential oil.
- 1 drop of Arborvitae essential oil.
- 3 drops of Frankincense.
- 1 small cup.
- Mixing the prepared amount of mentioned essential oils in the small cup.
- Pouring this mixture into the diffuser and putting it into baby’s bedroom.
Healthy bath of essential oil mixture for the babies + 2 years old:
- 6 drops of Citrus essential oil.
- 12 drops of Coconut oil.
- 1 teaspoon of Sea salt.
- 1 small cup.
- 1 wooden spoon.
- Blending Citrus essential oil with Coconut oil in a small cup.
- Adding 1 teaspoon of Sea salt into the above cup and then using the wooden spoon to stir them well.
- Pouring the blend into the bath tub of your babies and then bathing your baby as usual.
Massage oil for babies’ good sleep:
- 15 drops of Sweet Almond oil.
- 12 drops of Lavender essential oil.
- 1 small cup.
- Using Sweet Almond oil to dilute Lavender essential oil in the small cup.
- Massaging this blend on the skin of your baby gently before naps or bedtime to help them sleep well.
Essential oil blend for teething:
- 1 drops of Clove essential oil.
- 8 drops of Olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon of Vegetable glycerin.
- 1 small cup.
- 1 spoon.
- 1 cotton ball.
- Diluting essential oils of Clove in the small cup by using Olive oil.
- Adding 1 teaspoon of Vegetable glycerin into the cup of diluted Clove essential oil.
- Making the cotton ball wet with the above mixture and then placing it on the jawline and gum of your baby to relieve and ease the pain caused by teething.
- Using this remedy 3 times a week and 15 to 30 minutes for every time.
Skin caring essential oil mixture:
- 1 drop of Melaleuca essential oil.
- 1 drop of Lemon or Peppermint essential oil.
- 1 tablespoon of fractionated coconut oil or Lanolin.
- 1 small bowl.
- 1 glass spray bottle.
- 2 damp and soft paper towels.
- Blending above essential oils with fractionated coconut oil or Lanolin in the small bowl.
- Pouring this blend into the glass spray bottle.
- Using the available damp and soft paper towel to wipe the skin area of your baby’s buttock when you change his or her diaper.
- Spritzing above blend on the cleared skin area to soothe and soften your baby’s skin as well as protect his or her from the danger of insects.
- Wiping this skin area one more time with another damp and soft paper towel before setting the new diaper for your baby.
Safe tips to use essential oils for your babies:
- In fact, as it is not the same for the natural health disposition of the body of all babies, it is the best for you to talk to the doctor before making a decision of applying whatever essential oils for your baby.
- Only use essential oils on the skin of your baby when they are weak and gentle or mixed with the carrier oil.
- Besides using the small amount of essential oils for teething, you should not allow your baby inhale undiluted essential oils directly or add them to the food of your baby.
- Be sure that essential oils are kept out of the reach of your kid.